As MariaDB (and its predecessor MySQL) has been used around the world for 15+ years, there is a huge amount of learning resources and documentation available.
The primary place for MariaDB specific documentation is the MariaDB Knowledge Base. If you have MariaDB already installed you can also read the man pages. Every binary in MariaDB has a man page. To view a man page simply run on the command line man followed by the command/binary name, for example man mysql.
To learn about what’s new read the MariaDB release notes.
- Introduction to relational databases (if you’re completely new to databases)
- A 10-minute MariaDB primer
- List of basic SQL statements
- Common MariaDB queries
- Introduction to JOINS
Presentations and Videos
- Getting Started with MariaDB, 2nd edition by Daniel Bartholomew, June 2015
- A beginner’s guide to MariaDB. No prior MariaDB or MySQL experience necessary.
- Learning MySQL and MariaDB by Russell J. T. Dyer, April 2015.
- An introductory look at database systems, the SQL database language, installation and basic administration of MySQL and MariaDB.
- MariaDB High Performance by Pierre Mavro, September 2014
- For system administrators/architects or DBAs with existing MariaDB knowledge who want to learn more about how to grow their current infrastructure to support larger traffic.
- Mastering MariaDB by Federico Razzoli, September 2014
- Aimed at intermediate users who want to learn how to administrate a MariaDB server or a set of servers.
- MariaDB Beginners Guide by Rodrigo Ribeiro Gonçalves, August 2014
- A book for newcomers to MariaDB and SQL
- MariaDB Cookbook by Daniel Bartholomew, March 2014
- A cookbook filled with useful MariaDB recipes. Chapters cover such things as Sphinx, Connect, Cassandra, virtual and dynamic columns, TokuDB, and more.
- Building a Web Application with PHP and MariaDB by Sai Srinivas Sriparasa, June 2014
- A how-to guide for creating scalable and secure web applications with PHP and MariaDB
- MariaDB Crash Course by Ben Forta, September 2011
- First MariaDB book. For people who want to learn SQL and the basics of MariaDB.
- SQL-99 Complete, Really by Peter Gulutzan & Trudy Pelzer, March 1999
- Everything you wanted to know about the SQL 99 standard. Excellent reference book. Free to read in the Knowledge Base.
Guides and whitepapers
- MariaDB Corporation’s list of guides and whitepapers.
- The MariaDB Corporation offers training, both on-site and as live virtual classes.