MariaDB Server is one of the most popular database servers in the world. It’s made by the original developers of MySQL and guaranteed to stay open source. Notable users include Wikipedia, WordPress.com and Google.
MariaDB turns data into structured information in a wide array of applications, ranging from banking to websites. It is an enhanced, drop-in replacement for MySQL. MariaDB is used because it is fast, scalable and robust, with a rich ecosystem of storage engines, plugins and many other tools make it very versatile for a wide variety of use cases.
MariaDB is developed as open source software and as a relational database it provides an SQL interface for accessing data. The latest versions of MariaDB also include GIS and JSON features.
More information can be found in the MariaDB Knowledge Base, for example:
There is also a good Wikipedia article about MariaDB and the MySQL history.
The MariaDB Foundation
The MariaDB Foundation ensures continuity and open collaboration in the MariaDB ecosystem. The foundation guarantees that there is a global contact point for collaboration and that the community can always rely upon MariaDB Server.
The foundation is funded by corporate and individual sponsors.
The MariaDB Foundation is non-profit incorporated in Delaware, USA.
The foundation employs key developers, including Monty Widenius, co-founder of MySQL and MariaDB.
Our staff helps MariaDB Server by:
- Helping new contributors understand the source code and lowering the barrier for new participants.
- Participating in the design of new features, ensuring the code quality and maintainability of the code base.
- Reviewing code patches and other contributions.
- Applying code patches and keeping the code up-to-date (with the help of the original author of the patch).
- Making sure documentation keeps up with the development of new features.
- Porting and packaging MariaDB to a different platforms and operating systems to keep it as widely available as possible.
- Speaking at events and driving adoption.
Board of Directors
The current Board of Directors is:
- Chairman Eric Herman, Principal Developer at Booking.com
- Michael “Monty” Widenius, Founder and CTO of MariaDB Corporation
- Sergei Golubchik, Chief Architect at MariaDB Corporation
- Espen Håkonsen, CIO of Visma and Managing Director of Visma IT & Communications
- Michael Howard, CEO at MariaDB Corporation
MariaDB Foundation CEO Otto Kekäläinen serves as the secretary of the board.
Details about the foundation’s principles and operation is available at the Governance page.
Logos and merchandise
Logos and badges can be found on the logo page.
Please show your support by purchasing official MariaDB merchandise.
MariaDB is a registered trademark of MariaDB Corporation Ab used by MariaDB Foundation according to the trademark agreement, which guarantees that the foundation can always keep maintaining and publishing the software with the original name.
MySQL is a registered trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates.