Ben Forta, the author of MySQL Crash Course and Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes, has written what I believe is the first MariaDB-specific book: MariaDB Crash Course. I just received word from Ben that the book is now shipping.
Most MySQL books can, of course, be used to learn almost everything you need to know about using MariaDB. But with all of the features and abilities MariaDB has gained in the MariaDB 5.2 and MariaDB 5.3 releases, it’s nice there is now a book specific to MariaDB.
You don’t need to know anything about MariaDB or MySQL in order to get the most out of this book. From the author’s website:
This is a beginner-intermediate book, and is not intended for SQL (including MySQL) experts. This book is for you if:
- You are new to SQL.
- You are just getting started with MariaDB and want to hit the ground running.
- You want to quickly learn how to get the most out of MariaDB.
- You want to learn how to use MariaDB in your own application development.
- You want to be productive quickly and easily using MariaDB without having to call someone for help.
- If you want to invest minimal time (and cost) for a crash course on one of the most important DBMSs out there, then this book is indeed for you.
The book is available from Amazon.com and other fine booksellers.