Python is my personal favourite programming language, at least this century. So when the opportunity presented itself to have a talk at PyConZA, off I went. Not to South Africa in person, for a 40 minute talk, though.
It was a live presentation, streamed on Streamyard with chat on Discord. I complained of the bad connectivity I had in central Munich, much to the amusement of the South African audience, which evidently thought they were role models and market leaders when it comes to bad Internet. I fear flaky connectivity is a global feature of Internet providers.
My topic: When is MariaDB Server the right choice for persistence of data in Python? Or, to split it:
- why is picking a database sexy, to begin with?
- why a relational database, not NoSQL?
- why an open source relational database?
- why MariaDB, not MySQL or Postgres?
- when not to pick MariaDB?
I concluded with a personal rant about the happy feeling of coming back home to programming. After decades in management, I saw 90 % of all pain points of programming solved. I believe Python contributes to the mental sanity of an incurable geek.
- YouTube video: https://youtu.be/zo4HlSkPWKQ
- PyConZA https://za.pycon.org/
- Abstract: https://za.pycon.org/talks/30-python-mariadb-a-match/
- Discord chat during presentation: https://discord.com/channels/738062950316900393/895344731117219840
- How to connect Python programs to MariaDB https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/how-to-connect-python-programs-to-mariadb/
- KB MariaDB Connector/Python https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-connector-python/
- MariaDB Connector/Python https://mariadb.com/docs/clients/mariadb-connectors/connector-python/
- SQL Alchemy https://www.sqlalchemy.org/
- Support for MySQL & MariaDB Server @SQL Alchemy: https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/14/dialects/mysql.html