The second MariaDB Developers Unconference of 2018 was held in Tampere, Finland on 26-29 June. The event was kindly hosted by Seravo and the Crazy Town venue offered us great facilities for collaborative work and discussions. Thanks to all 27 attendees who arrived!
Present were many core developers and new contributors interested in MariaDB development from all around the world. We had attendees all the way from Japan and India and also many from Finland and other European countries.
The first day – June 26th – was dedicated to new contributors and the topic of getting involved in MariaDB development. For example, the New Developers Workshop saw a tutorial on fixing stacktraces in MariaDB 5.5.
The traditional unconference was held on June 27-28. During these days we had many discussions and in depth presentations on various topics regarding MariaDB open source development. The presentation slides from the unconference can be found at the end of this blog post.
The last day of the event was devoted to patch reviews. There were no scheduled presentations but lots of time for in-person discussion on the patches.
During the evenings we had some activities and dinner together. The participants got to see sunny Tampere from a boat cruise and – of course – had the opportunity to experience the Finnish sauna.
- Welcome words by MariaDB Foundation CEO Otto Kekäläinen and Monty Widenius – slides
- Fixing Stacktraces in MariaDB 5.5 (Vicențiu Ciorbaru) – slides
- MariaDB Architecture: The Path of the Query (Sergei Golubchik) – slides
- What can MariaDB developers learn from Debian and Ubuntu Quality Assurance systems? – slides
- Getting started – How to raise your first patch (Rutuja Surve) – slides
- MariaDB Roles (Vicențiu Ciorbaru) – slides
- MariaDB optimizer: current state, comparison with other branches, development directions (Sergei Petrunia) – slides
- Unwinding Replication (Andrei Elkin) – slides
- MariaDB CI/BB – buildbot.mariadb.org (Teodor Mircea Ionita) – slides
- MyRocks in MariaDB (Sergei Petrunia) – slides
- Deep Dive: InnoDB Transactions and Write Paths (Marko Mäkelä) – slides
- Galera MariaDB 10.4 – State of the Art and Plans (Seppo Jaakola) – slides
- MariaDB Corporation plans for 10.4 – MariaDB Server 10.4 Roadmap (Max Mether) – slides
- Community contributions – Github pull requests (Sergey Vojtovich) – slides
Altogether, it was a productive week and the event was successful. A big thank you to all who participated – we hope to see you again in future events!