So you heard about the interesting presentations at the MariaDB Server Fest, but didn’t have time to watch them when we were live? Or you have so far seen only a couple of the presentations, but would like some hints at which other presentations are worthy of taking a look at?
That’s the purpose of this blog entry: to help you pick and choose, suggesting what could be interesting for you. All the Server Fest presentations are available on YouTube, with subtitles and Q&A sessions!
A first tip: Most presentations have a short five-minute Q&A session.
The MariaDB Server Fest 2020 is now over! Time for some spontaneous, initial reflections.
To recap, MariaDB Server Fest
- was a virtual conference
- spread out over three days in September 2020
- taking place first in Paris, then in New York, and last in Singapore / Beijing (three days in each location)
The Server Fest was a first in many ways, for MariaDB Foundation:
- The first time we addressed the users of MariaDB Server – not the developers of MariaDB Server
- The first time we went virtual – so far, we have always met face to face
- The first time we did a conference with Call for Papers and an approval process – earlier, we had what we called unconferences, with a very spontaneous agenda
The numbers speak for themselves:
- over 10.000 unique video views on YouTube alone
- over 2.000 simultaneous viewers on Bilibili.com
- 35 talks by 30 presenters
- twelve live streams, each with six hours of talks
My primary motivation to contribute to the open source community is because I strongly believe in the idea that software is free, to copy, modify and study.
MariaDB Server Fest is coming to Asia Pacific! Beijing and Singapore are the two symbols for the timezones, much like Paris for the Server Fest in Europe, Middle East and Africa, and New York for the Server Fest in the Americas.
The reason we have two different symbols for the same time zone is that we want to adapt to the different Internet landscape in China.
For Singapore, things look like they do in Paris and New York.
The MariaDB Server Fest next month has approved quite a number of exciting presentations. The presenters are now busy filming their presentations, which will be aired three times – Monday to Wednesday 14-16 September 2020 in the Paris timezone (for EMEA), Tuesday to Thursday 15-17 September 2020 in the New York timezone (for the Americas), and Friday to Sunday 18-20 September 2020 in the Beijing timezone (for APAC).
Through logic (not magic), we have cloned the presenters. As the presentation is aired in the form of video, slides and voice, the presenter is fully concentrating on following what you, the attendee, ask in the chat room.