The MariaDB Foundation has added Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero and Ripple to the list of ways to contribute financially.
After experiencing problems with Paypal and disabling it as a means of contribution, our individual donations dropped off as not everyone found the alternatives, such as paying directly into the bank account, convenient.
We recently adding Liberapay as a payment method, and have now started accepting a number of cryptocurrencies. If you wish to donate in a cryptocurrency that is not yet supported, please let us know (you can do so in the comments on this post), and if there is enough demand we will consider adding it as an option.
The MariaDB Foundation is a non-profit organization, funded entirely by sponsors and donations. This helps us to support MariaDB Server by:
- Encouraging adoption, contribution and distribution of MariaDB Server and related open source software.
- Helping new contributors understand the source code and lowering the barrier for new participants.
- Participating in the design of new features, ensuring the code quality and maintainability of the code base while the number of contributors is growing.
- Making sure documentation keeps up with the development of new features.
- Porting and packaging MariaDB to different platforms and operating systems to keep it as widely available as possible.
- Speaking at events and driving adoption.
There are of course multiple ways besides financial to get involved. Thanks to everyone in the MariaDB community for the continued support.